Featured Post

Monday, January 15, 2018

Writing Prompt #7

Do you think it is ever a good idea to end a friendship? Why or why not?

I think there are two sides to this question.

It is a good idea because there are solid reasons to end a friendship. One good reason would be betrayal or serious infraction. While you can forgive, the friendship would never be the same after a tough situation. Sometimes people drift apart. That happens too. Some friendships were never strong to begin with. Those drift apart too. I personally do not keep friendships that are damaging or toxic in any way. This is just not a healthy relationship to have. As an adult I am getting pretty good at identifying them. The same rule applies in my romantic relationships as friendships sometimes develop into this. 

It is a bad idea to end a friendship over something silly. If the other person walks away, its on them. Romantic relationships are the worst reason to stop being friends with someone. Sure, your attention is spread thinner but true friends find time for each other. In other words do not fight over guys or gals. The bad reasons are subjective because I might think something is silly but someone else might have a different view on that. For example, I might think of a candle as a candle and blow it out. no big deal but someone else might think that its disrespectful to the host of the party. This is not only, subjective but also has a cultural significance. I agree to disagree in these cases.

I can't change the people around me but I can choose who I bestow with the honor of being called my friend. At the end of the day, taking offense is a what really ends friendship. Forgiveness is not easy but it is a step in the right direction. 

-Melody