Featured Post

Friday, January 12, 2018

The Laughing Emoji

Today’s society practically lives online. You may run into 1 or 2 people that despise all things social media. Then your face looks shocked like the painting, The Scream, or like the emoji with the oval mouth. Either way online interactions practically rule world, especially for younger generations. In these interactions we often react in a variety of ways. Facebook is one of the biggest social media platforms. Their developers came to a realization that we respond to things with more than just a thumbs-up or thumbs-down. So they decided to add additional reactions. They range from smiles to angry but the one that bothers me the most is the laughing Ha-ha reaction.

Here’s a little context for you. People have laughed at me and mocked me my whole life. Personally I don’t laugh when something is not funny. To me, it is immature to laugh when the topic is not funny or even meant to be funny. Jokes and anecdotes are funny. A comment/statement on Facebook is not always funny. Sometimes it is just stating a fact or having a discussion.

Sometimes people put the laughing emoji to laugh at you for saying something they perceive as stupid. Facebook has opened the door for bullies to make fun without saying anything. When I see a laughing emoji as a reaction to one of my comments, I am immediately bought back to the high school cafeteria where people giggle over the smallest thing. What are we? Kids? I am pretty sure that most of the interactions I have online are with adults over the age of 25. By this age most people don’t randomly giggle over things. A more mature reaction would be thumbs-up or a smile and move on. Why make people feel bad about posting something. I can’t count the number of times that I have deleted my own comments online because I felt so bad about what I wrote even though there was nothing inherently wrong with it. Sometimes I know it’s best to take back my words and just not continue the conversation. I have learned over the years that its best to avoid conflict and pick your battles if at all possible.

My main point is that before your react to something, you should think about how that person might feel. I catch myself in this often and try to make sure that I react respectfully.