Featured Post

Saturday, October 17, 2015

Family Dinners: A Different Perspective

Ever since I could remember we always sat down to have dinner together.

I feel like the atmosphere and conversation changes as we get older.

When I was little I don't remember much of any conversation. Mostly because my dad worked the night shift and I didn't see him much. Don't get me wrong I still love him very much but as a kid I understood that he is a grownup and he had to work just like mom did.

I do remember and we have home video somewhere of us sitting at the table in the old house. I feel like everything was lighter and more fun back then. As I got older this began to change. Our conversations turned to more serious things and sometimes hurtful things. I hate to be stressed when I am eating.

As I came into adulthood I slowly began distancing myself from my family for that very reason. I now hate eating with my family because there is always screaming or telling me what to do and how to do it. From poking at me to tell me how to hold my fork to telling me that I should have cleaned the house last week. I work full-time right now. I have two days off and that is the weekend. I think I would go crazy if I did not leave this house for a day out by myself. I eat alone to eat in peace with myself and my thoughts. I eat alone to avoid feeling like a failure, feeling worthless and making sure that the company I keep is a choice and not a necessity.

Family dinners used to mean so much. I used to watch other families have dinner and talk about their day and wish, no, pray that this could be me someday with my family in the future.

On occasion I have dinner with a friend and I feel that warmth I so long for. He calls me grand-daughter even though I am not his blood. A meal is supposed to bring people together, not tear them apart. I feel like this is the case in the world today. In the US specifically I feel that no one really sits down together anymore and families become broken.

My biggest goal in life is to have family meetings and family game nights. This way I can develop a relationship with each member of my family so they never have to feel the way I feel right now. I am missing the piece of my heart that feels warm when I remember my family.

Ok I had to get those thoughts out of my head. See you guys in the next post. A new video is also up this morning.

Fluteplayer777 out!